Saturday, April 9, 2016

Kyle's Last Blog Post

      In this last week I feel like everything really came together. There's a certain sense of accomplishment in distributing supplies to different wards and taking part in the nutrition event. I think I'll always think about how Lewanika hospital is doing and how far they are progressing. I guess I'll always be able to get a small glimpse through this blog in future years. However, I don't think they'll be able to grasp how far the health care system has come. Just like I wasn't able to recognize progress when I first arrived.

    The medical ward was quite nice to see. It was refreshing to see nurses who charted on the data-action-response forms that we're so gung ho about. They also generally seemed very well trained,  professionally strict and disciplined.

The nutrition event was fun if slightly chaotic. The target population of children didn't seem to have any respect at all for our insistent pleas to return to class. The fact that we had the headmaster's consent to shoo them back to class didn't seem to give us any more validity either. It was interesting speaking with Sister Kathy (who runs our accommodation at Liseli lodge) about the education system here. She told me how dubious she is about the quality of the education system here. I wish I had more time to investigate this aspect of Zambian society more.

It's a weird feeling leaving Mongu. I'm happy to be finished my degree but it's daunting to think about working as a full time RN now.

All in all the trip was about a 9/10. Would do again.
Cheers,
Kyle


No comments:

Post a Comment