Monday, February 14, 2011

Zambian Birthday!

Happy birthday to me!

It was my birthday last Wednesday (February 9th). And let me just say that it was one I will remember for a long time. I woke up to birthday cards from friends and family back home, much love to Jessana for lugging them over here for me! It was hard to read the warm wishes from loved ones so far away, and made me miss home a lot. But we kept busy at the hospital, and the girls over here made the day as special as could be for my 22nd.

It is tradition here in Zambia to call the person celebrating their birthday “the baby,” as their birthday celebrates their rebirth. Of course the girls loved this, and referred to me as the baby all day (along with taxi drivers, nurses, and anyone else who got wind of the occasion). It is also a tradition to bath the baby…in cold water…luckily, the girls couldn’t find a bucket to dump on me, I don’t think I would have appreciated the surprise cold shower. I also think the less-then-lukewarm showers at the Cheshire Home were sufficient in keeping with tradition!
Fay, Jess, and Mary were kind enough to get me flowers and a bracelet, and Lynnelle got me a massive bouquet. The girls and I went out for a birthday dinner, and they surprised me with a cake when we got home. My birthday reminded me of how amazing my friends and family are at home, for sending cards even though I’m an ocean away. I also realized just how lucky I am to be travelling with such an amazing group of women, who go out of their way to make my birthday special.

To all my friends and family back home, as well as “The Team,” I love you, you all made my day.

Lots of hugs and smooches to everyone back home, we miss you guys like crazy

The Baby
(Alexandra Malloy)
xo

1 comment:

  1. Alex, I talked to Mom and Gram on Valentines Day and they said you had done a post. Finally had a chance to read it. So glad that you had all those friends and people to help you celebrate your day. This will be a Birthday that will never be wonderd about or forgotten as to what you did or where you went to celebrate it. It is great to read about what is happening for you, even with all of us spread around the globe. Keep us up to date as much as you can on the amazing and incredible experience you are having. If you are off on safari we hope you have a fabulous time.Thinking of you and sending all our Love from here in Mexico....... Aunt Lin & Uncle Brock

    ReplyDelete