Friday, April 24, 2015

Thanks for the memories

Currently, we are sitting at Lusaka International Airport, waiting to leave Zambia. And there is something about sitting in an Airport to leave that always makes me feel nostalgic. 

Before I left, I knew there were moments of this experience that were going to be hard. I knew there were moments that were going to break my heart. And as much as I expected them in my nursing practice, I didn't expect that leaving would be one of these moments.

Never in my life have I stayed long enough in a foreign place to not only have it feel like a home, but to make friendships there as well. And I think out of this whole experience, that was the thing that surprised me the most - the quality and quantity of friends I made here.

And though the experience itself was life changing, so were the people I met. And I realized when I was going through some hard times that that is how the people here get through it - that is how they survive the heartache. They support each other to the best of their abilities, and in the end, everything they go through just strengthens their bond.

So though I am excited to begin the next part of my travels, today is really bittersweet. I miss Mongu so much already. I miss my friends every second. And I know it will become easier with time. But in the end, I know I will miss these people for the rest of my life.

The only quote that keeps popping in to my head right now is the super cheesy one that says "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." And though so cliche, it is also very applicable to this situation.

So, today even though we leave Mongu and I am sad, I am smiling. What a great experience. What a great part of my life. And I will always look back on it with fond memories, and continue to smile.

Thanks for the memories Mongu!!


- Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment